Holding Our Leaders Accountable

As a result of the videos released by the Center for Medical Progress which demonstrate that Planned Parenthood is trafficking in the body parts of aborted preborn human beings, I decided to contact my representatives in Congress requesting that they support defunding Planned Parenthood and ending abortion in our nation.  Here is what I wrote to my three representatives in Congress:

I was shocked, but not surprised, by the undercover videos released which suggest that Planned Parenthood is selling the body parts of aborted preborn humans. The reason I was not surprised is due to the realization that any organization which finds nothing morally wrong with the destruction of preborn humans will certainly not find anything morally wrong with selling the body parts of those preborn humans which they have destroyed. 

The science of embryology teaches that, from the earliest stage of development, each of us was a distinct, living, and whole human being. Philosophically there is no essential difference between the embryo you once were and the adult you are today that would justify killing you at that earlier stage. Differences of size, level of development, environment, and degree of dependency are not good, moral reasons for saying you could be killed then but not now. 

In light of the above case for the full humanity of the preborn, I request that you do what you can to support defunding Planned Parenthood and ending the scourge that abortion has been on our nation since the passage of Roe v. Wade. Since this decision, this nation, which touts its lack of discrimination against any class of human beings, has discriminated against the most vulnerable class of human beings by destroying roughly 57 million of its own preborn citizens. I thank you for your service to this nation and look forward to your response.

Thus far, noting that Congress is currently on vacation, I have received a response only from Senator Ben Cardin.  It was as follows:

Thank you for contacting me with your support for ending federal funding of Planned Parenthood. I appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

By law, Planned Parenthood already segregates all federal funding that they receive, and does not use those funds for the provision of abortions in any state. I agree with my colleagues that the topic of abortion is a highly sensitive, emotional issue. Without a doubt, the legal status of abortion remains one of the most divisive and controversial issues facing our nation and one which I have given serious consideration.


Thank you for taking the time to share your views with me. If I can be of any further assistance with this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Here are my thoughts on the above response:

First, regarding my response to defund Planned Parenthood he stated that they segregate the federal funds they receive and thus, I assume, he will not support stripping them of federal funds.  Senator Cardin misses the point that Planned Parenthood also tells us that they do not sell the body parts of the babies they abort or alter the abortion procedure accordingly; yet these videos suggest otherwise.

Second, he addressed my request to support the end of abortion in our nation only by stating that abortion is a controversial issue which he has given much thought. No response of what the results of all his "serious consideration" are and no response to the case I made for the full humanity of the preborn was provided.

He states that if he can be of any further assistance with this matter to contact him. I plan on following up with my thoughts above and request he respond to the pro-life case I have provided. Apologetics and clear thinking are useful in all spheres - including politics - and based on the response I received from Senator Cardin it does not appear that he is utilizing either of them.

Our leaders answer to the people they represent. For this reason, I encourage you to contact them regularly.    

Feel free to provide your thoughts on my initial contact, Senator Cardin's response, and my follow up thoughts.

Stand firm in Christ,
Chase  
 


Comments